密歇根大学PS范文
这篇来自密歇根大学的PS范文表明了素材不必惊天动地,关键是让阅读者看到你的行动弧线。
模拟法庭体验
The judge called “the prosecution may begin to question the defendant.”
法官说道:“控方可以开始盘问被告。”
I shuddered quietly to myself as I smoothed my skirt and rose slowly from the chair.
我悄悄打了个寒颤,整理了一下裙子,缓缓从椅子上站起身。
As I began to speak, I gained my confidence.
当我开口说话时,信心渐渐在心中生长。
My statement rolled off my tongue, as I projected my voice throughout the courtroom.
我的陈述顺畅地从嘴里流出,声音在法庭内回荡。
“Would you please provide a rendition of events during this incident?” I asked.
“请您叙述一下当时事件的经过?”我问道。
But, the testimony given was not in compliance with the pre-court interview notes from the previous weeks.
但被告的证词与过去几周的庭前采访记录并不一致。
This defendant was sent to Ontario County Youth Court for consuming acid in school.
此案中,被告因为在学校服用了迷幻药,被送至安大略县青少年法庭。
I continued to question cautiously, but finally caught the defendant in a blatant lie.
我小心翼翼地继续盘问,最终在一次明显的谎言中抓住了被告。
I calmly stated, “You are under oath and by lying, you are committing a federal offense of perjury. I would please ask you to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so the jury can reach an appropriate sentence.”
我冷静地说道:“您正在宣誓作证,撒谎属于联邦伪证罪。我要求您说出全部事实,毫无保留,好让陪审团能够做出公正的裁决。”
I could see the defendant squirm during this confrontation.
在这番对质中,我看见被告坐立不安。
But, I was holding the upper hand, and lying could not undermine my self-assurance.
但我掌握着主动,谎言无法动摇我的自信。
兴趣起源
The case progressed with a sense of caution, for the power of prosecution can dampen the mood.
案件在谨慎的氛围下继续推进,因为控方的权力总是带有一丝压迫感。
I have always been a searcher; for new opportunities, new friends, and a true passion.
我一直都是个探索者——不断寻找新的机会、新的朋友和真正的热情所在。
I have taken dance classes for fifteen years because I enjoy the creativity of movement, exercise, and my friendships with other dancers.
我学习舞蹈已经十五年了,因为我喜欢舞动的创造力、锻炼身体,以及和其他舞者之间的友谊。
But, dance is not my calling in life or deepest passion.
但舞蹈并不是我生命中的使命或最深的热情。
I have taken tennis, golf, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sailing, sailboarding, scuba diving, and even sewing lessons.
我也学过网球、高尔夫、滑雪、单板滑雪、滑冰、帆船、帆板、潜水,甚至还有缝纫课程。
But these are also merely hobbies or interests.
但这些也都只是兴趣或爱好而已。
Freshman year, after fourteen years of searching, I finally discovered my true passion and calling in life: a career in law.
在大学一年级,经过十四年的寻找,我终于发现了自己真正的热情与人生使命:法律职业。
I live on a dirt road and attend a small, rural school.
我住在一条土路上,读的是一所乡村小校。
There is not a single traffic light in the entire school district.
整个学区里连一个红绿灯都没有。
But, these factors of seclusion have never hindered my appetite for exploration.
但这种与世隔绝从未限制过我探索的渴望。
One day, I saw a poster hanging in the atrium of my school about an information night regarding Ontario County Youth Court.
有一天,我在学校的中庭看到一张关于安大略县青少年法庭宣讲会的海报。
On a whim, I decided to attend.
出于一时的冲动,我决定去参加。
I have always been an advocate for trying new activities, or else passions can never be unleashed and discovered.
我一向主张尝试新事物,否则人的热情永远无法被激发与发现。
Without leaving one’s comfort zone and broadening one’s horizons, we can never grow as people.
只有跳出舒适区、拓宽视野,我们才能成长。
That evening, I sat in a room with fifteen other strangers and learned about restorative justice principles and careers in law.
那天晚上,我和十五个陌生人坐在一起,学习了修复性司法的理念和法律职业的相关内容。
I was hooked.
我被深深吸引住了。
At that moment, I realized this my calling.
就在那一刻,我意识到:这就是我的使命。
持续参与
After completing a 20-hour training process, being inducted as a full member of youth court, and religiously attending youth court cases each month, my thirst was still unquenched.
完成了20小时的培训,正式成为青少年法庭的成员,并且每月坚持参加法庭审理后,我的渴望依然没有被满足。
Therefore, I became involved in court evaluating.
于是,我又投身于法庭评估工作。
Local court officials are assessed by volunteers to ensure they are fulfilling their duties to the community.
志愿者会对当地法官进行评估,以确保他们履行对社区的职责。
Watching judges mandate reprimands for speeding tickets might be dull for some, but I find it fascinating.
有人可能会觉得旁听法官对超速罚单做出处罚很无聊,但我却觉得无比有趣。
The legal system has such a vast array of powers and professions.
法律体系包含着丰富多样的权力与职业。
I have continued to expand my knowledge by attending local, district, and circuit courts, along with touring a jail.
我继续扩展自己的知识,旁听了地方、地区、巡回法庭的案件,还参观了监狱。
价值观升华
While I was first motivated to join Ontario County Youth Court for the sake of self-exploration and serving my community, I discovered my passion for law.
起初,我加入安大略县青少年法庭,是为了自我探索与服务社区,但在这个过程中,我发现了自己对法律的热情。
By interacting with a vast array of youth offenders, I have had the opportunity to see the world others live in.
通过与各种青少年违法者的接触,我有机会看见他们所生活的世界。
Now, I have the ability to understand other people’s circumstances and social pressures.
如今,我能够理解他人的处境与社会压力。
Most importantly, I have fully encompassed the value of prioritizing the common good above individual success.
最重要的是,我彻底领悟了将公共利益置于个人成功之上的价值观。